DS Matjila is a Professor in the Department of African Languages and Head of Centre for Pan African Languages and Cultural Development at Unisa. He is also a research fellow of University of Michigan and University of Pennsylvania in USA. He has presented scientific papers nationally and internationally and published articles on language, culture and literature in various journals
Prof Matjila is involved in research organizations and associations nationally and internationally. He is a member of the following associations and organizations:
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (convener of Scientific Commission: Education in Multilingual and Multicultural Setting);
- African Languages Association of Southern Africa;
- South African Applied Linguistics Association;
- South African Folklore Society;
- African Academy of Languages (ACALAN) (commissioner of Setswana Cross-Border Commission);
- African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific and International Society for the Oral Literatures of Africa.
Prof Matjila also reviews papers for publication for the above-mentioned journals. He is Setswana Examiner of Cambridge International Examinations in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
In 2014 Lover of his People compiled, translated and -edited by Prof Matjila and Prof Karen Haire (of Principia University in Illinois) won the English Academy of Southern Africa Sol Plaatje Prize for Translation. In April 2016 Prof Matjila received a research award from SMAPE in Gaborone, Botswana for his contribution in the development of research in the field of Cultural History, Language and Literature of Batswana.